Functional Medicine & Anti-Aging
Home / Functional Medicine & Anti-Aging /
Autoimmune Diseases treatment at AIG clinics Dubai
What are Autoimmune Diseases and their symptoms?
The immune system is a collection of specialized cells and chemicals that fight pathogens such as bacteria and viruses. Autoimmune diseases occur when a person's immune system mistakenly attacks the body's tissues.
Autoimmune diseases are broadly divided into two categories. “Organ-specific” means that one of her organs is affected, while “non-organ-specific” disease can affect multiple organs or body systems.
There are about 80 different autoimmune diseases, ranging in severity from mild to debilitating, depending on which body systems are attacked and how much. Many autoimmune diseases affect multiple parts of the body. Although there is generally no cure, symptoms of autoimmune diseases can be treated.
What are the treatments for autoimmune diseases?
Autoimmune diseases generally cannot be cured, but the condition can often be controlled. Historically, treatment has included:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs – used to reduce inflammation and pain
- Corticosteroids – reduce inflammation. They are sometimes used to treat acute flare-ups of symptoms
- Pain relievers – such as acetaminophen or codeine
- Immunosuppressants – inhibit the activity of the immune system
- Physiotherapy – promotes mobility
- Deficiency treatment – e.g. insulin injections for diabetes
- Surgery – for example, to treat bowel obstruction in Crohn’s disease
- High-dose immunosuppressant – The use of drugs to suppress the immune system (in doses needed to treat cancer or prevent rejection of transplanted organs)